Hi all, it's Monika here today with my first mixed media tutorial. Having recently moved house, I felt it was appropriate to create a door sign for Nick's office. Here it is:
I went for a tone-on-tone green theme and recorded the first part, up until the stenciling with paste, in a video. It's the craft along style for those who want to follow my process and want to pick up tips as I go along.
Here are the steps:
- cut a piece of strong cardboard or chipboard to the required size and cut two pieces of white card of the same size and esge chipboard with either acrylic paint or pigment ink
- lay out the die-cut letters on one of the two pieces of white card and sponge the other one with a base of light green.
- use the same ink to lightly stencil the Weathered Wood stencil ideally using a shaving brush and to stamp script, Mixed Media Elements stamp set, into the background
- stencil the bird on a branch and the flying birds, both from the Some Birds stencil, in dark green
- using the same dark ink stamp the bird, Trendy Birds 2 stamp set, to slightly overlap the stenciled one
- using 2 different greens of acrylic paint and stencil a little Leaf Bliss large stencil, where you want it to go
- If needed add some more flying birds using the light green ink before using texture paste to stencil the ones on top.
- once dry, lightly sand the paste and lightly sponge with the two inks
- glue down your letters and outline them with either a cool grey 1 or pastel beige Promarker and soften the edges with a blender, also add a Promarker line to the stamped bird's back to add more depth
- add white gel pen shadows to your lettering and using a dried ruffled up baby wipe pick up some of the dark green and lightly dab where needed to add some texture and depth
- adhere to your chipboard, finish off with pretty paper on the reverse, punch two holes, set eyelets and attach some pretty ribbon to finish
Here are some more photos:
Here is my video:
I was working with:
ARTplorations Stencils: Some Birds, Weathered Wood and Leaf Bliss Large plus
That's it from me for now.
Have a lovely day!