Monday, August 15, 2016

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Altered Frame by Amy



Good morning y'all and happy Monday! Amy here to share with you a fun altered project! I love going to garage sales and picking up all sorts of odd and ends...usually to alter them in some way. 

A month ago I came across a frame with a quote inside...and knew I could turn it into something I could use to hang my lil' makes in my craft room.


Pretty, but not for me. So here's my process:

I started by taking out the center panel with the quote.


I gave it a good coat of gesso


I then used Teal paint and gave it 2 coats.


After it dried, I used the Mini Honeycomb Delight Stencil with yellow paint and a mini blending tool.


While the frame was drying, I taped off the Mini Bold Florals Stencil so that only one them was visible. I then used pink paint with the stencil onto tissue paper. I made quite a few of them. I also stamped a few circles from the Artsy Border Maker with Black Archival ink onto the tissue paper. I then cut them all out and set aside for now.


I then used flowers from the Big Bloom Factory stamp set and embossed them with white embossing powder onto watercolor paper.I used distress inks to color them up and then fussy cut them out.


Now here's the fun part. :o) I turned the frame over onto it's backside and grabbed some multicolored twine and a staple gun. I stapled the twine in different directions until I was happy with the design. I used heavy duty duct tape on the ends to ensure they stayed put.


I then added my tissue paper flowers, tissue paper circles and Big Bloom Factory flowers onto the frame with matte medium and glossy accents. I finished by adding some Liquid Pearls to the pink tissue paper flower centers.


Voila! I now have a fun and vibrant frame that I can hang my photos, tags, cards and ATC's in my craft room using mini clothes pins. :o)



I sure hope I've inspired you to go bargain hunting and altering items to suit your needs. :o)


Others: frame, gesso, Dylusions Paint (Calypso Teal, Bubblegum Pink and Lemon Zest), Distress Ink (Candied Apple and Fossilized Amber), Jet Black Archival Ink, white embossing powder, multicolored twine, Glossy Accents, Liquid Pearls (Teal), mini clothespins, tissue paper and staple gun.

Happy Craftin'!
Amy

3 comments:

  1. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing :) Veronique

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique idea. Fun colours and great techniques, thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! I had a lot of fun altering this frame. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)