Tuesday, November 21, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Maria Recycles to make a Pocket Shaker



Long time, no see STAMPlorations friends! Hope you've hopped with the Giving Thanks blog hop and linked up your wish list - if not you should! I have a fun project for you today using some of that cellophane stamp packaging we all manage to
accumulate ;) A shaker pocket as a card!



Gathered my supplies - cello packaging, Feathery stamp set and dies, blue, black and Versamark inks, a blue-Distress-ink-swiped piece of glossy photo paper, vellum and sequins.

Measured my cello bag and envie to get measurements for the vellum piece. I only wanted to have to to stitch up the top of the pocket. Mine was 11x15 cm.

Laid out the feather stamps (I'm using the REVERSE like a solid stamp), inked them up light, medium and dark blue and then stamped onto my cut-to-size vellum piece. TIP: I have a laminated piece of grid paper that I use under my panel in my MISTI when stamping off the edges of a it. It's easier to clean up! And I place the corner of my cut panel at the 1 inch mark on the side and bottom so if I need to re-stamp I know where to be sure my paper is since I can't use the corner. Since the stamps extend off the edge of the panel.



The first photo shows the stamped "solid" feathers. Notice how wet the ink stays on the vellum? Hold that thought. The second photo is cardstock I stamped with the ink that was left on the stamps after stamping the vellum! It became this card.


Sprinkled some silver embossing powder onto the still wet vellum piece (after it had dried two or three minutes). Tapped off the excess and even brushed some off with a kleenex so not all the blue would be covered up. Heat embossed.


Stamped and die cut two feathers from a piece of glossy photo paper I'd swiped with Distress Inks.
 

Coaxed the vellum piece and two die cuts into the cello bag and poured in some sequins. Notice that the "top" is actually the bottom of the cello packaging, the side with the fold over flap with the sticky glue closure on it. TIP: Cut the bottom off the cello bag to get rid of that line of sticky glue first otherwise you'll have a darn time sliding the vellum in!


Die cut a matching feather from white CS and adhered it to the reverse of the cello pocket, directly behind the feather stamped and heat embossed up top. This is where I can write a personal greeting when I send the card. When it was in place, checked that the vellum panel was still flush with the bottom edge (the one that is bonded closed) and sewed along the top edge of the vellum.


Then I trimmed off the excess cello just above my stitching and finished off the pocket to make it a birthday card. It's such fun to jiggle around and play with! My last photo shows the cool see-through effect thanks to the cellophane and vellum.

If you don't already, save your next stamp set packaging and make one of these. You can use stamp pockets too, and a Fuse tool instead of stitching, but I like my cheaper version ;) Should you try out any of our Spotlight techniques, like making a pocket shaker, be sure to hook up your project at our Spotlight Project Showcase


3 comments:

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)