Tuesday, July 25, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Maria Emboss Resists with Distress Oxides



Hello STAMPlorations friends! I'm playing around with Distress Oxide inks, today in combination with the emboss resist technique. The result is so tactile - I wish you could reach out and touch it!



The suede feel of the Distress Oxides. The clear embossing. The sentiment of various thicknesses. Wunnerful, wunnerful. Let's see how I created it.

STEP 1
Gathered my supplies. Trendy Spring Blooms, Party Time, distress oxides, clear embossing powder, water and watercolor paper. A couple of dies, though I wasn't sure which I would use. Oh - and chocolate. Cuz chocolate.




STEP 2
I cut myself a little plastic folder from a page protector to use for smooshing ink (those of you who don't like getting messy fingers may like this method). Inked up the left side with pink, orange and yellow. Spritzed it with water til it beaded up.




STEP 3
Closed the folder and smooshed.




STEP 4
Dried.



STEP 5
Smooshed again with more pink at the top.



STEP 6
Stamped three of the solid/text blooms randomly around the piece and heat embossed them clear..




STEP 7
Put the heat embossed piece back into the plastic folder. Inked and spritzed.



STEP 8
Repeated the smooshing technique.




STEP 9
When the piece had dried I splattered some water droplets to reactivate the ink and create those "oxidized" spots.



STEP 10
Did some heat embossing and die cutting with Hello Word and Lowercase Alpha Plate for my sentiment.


To finish it off I stamped some text to the background (from the Mixed Media Elements set) wiping it off of the embossing with a baby wipe, die cut the panel with Crazy Double Running Stitch Rectangle, and added a strip of washi along the bottom of my cardbase.



Here's a closeup of my finished card again. Notice how the colors underneath the embossed blooms are darker? If you applied ink over the top of the embossing, the panel would normally get darker. But since I did the smooshing technique (using water) over the embossing, it actually softened/lightened the BG colors. Cool, eh?



If you try out any of the techniques from our Spotlight posts, hook your project up at our Spotlight Project Showcase.


TschĂĽss,

Maria



Products Maria used in today's project:

   

 

11 comments:

  1. Amazing card ... so much interest in that background just brilliant
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever way to do the smooshing using a plastic folder. Also love the fun effect of the resist. Yay for DIOX inks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Gorgeous color combo for your DOX smooshed background, Maria. TFS all your photos and detailed emboss resist and stamping steps. Hugs.. I now have all 24 DOX's, you are making me want to play with them...right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tutorial! I am hoping to try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)