Wednesday, May 13, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Guest Designer Kim Creates a Card Using the Collage Stamping Technique


Hello! I'm so excited to be here as a Spotlight Project Guest Designer again. I had so much fun the last time! Since it was so well received the previous time, I decided to do a photo tutorial again. I had some requests recently to show how I go about making my collage stamping cards. What do I mean by collage stamping? It's what I call creating a background around a main focal image by stamping, sponging and splattering (and any other fun stuff I can think of).




So my first step is to pick out my main focal image and some stamps I want to use in the background.



Then I begin to create. I stamped my poppies (Bloom Sketches) in Soft Suede ink (Stampin' Up!).



Then I masked it with a homemade mask from stamping on paper and fussy cutting it out.  (I always keep these masks I make so I can reuse them later). I sponged the same Soft Suede ink over top working from the bottom corner and lightening as I went upward.




I stamped the script stamp (7 Gypsies) in the Soft Suede ink, stamping off first so it was fairly subtle.  I added some Sea Glass ink (Simon Says Stamp), sponging it on here and there. Then, I decided to add the script stamp in the Sea Glass ink as well.





Next I splattered some watered down Sea Glass and Soft Suede ink.



I stamped the butterfly (Trendy Butterflies set) in Soft Suede and Sea Glass ink. Then I sprayed Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist lightly.




I removed the mask and began colouring my poppies with Spectrum Noir markers.




Then, I stamped the sentiment (Trendy Feathers) in Soft Suede ink.



Lastly, I attached my finished panel to my card base with foam dots.


Well, I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!  So glad you visited with me and I hope you all have a fabulous day!  :-)



Stamps Kim used in today's project:


    


Bloom Sketches (August/September 2014) is one of several premium 5x7 sets offered in the STAMPlorations stamp club! We've got lots of perks, including free worldwide shipping, a free 4" by 6" stamp set sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and choice of 2 ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) in every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for May. We'll pick ONE (1) commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on the first week of June!

38 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card and a FABULOUS tutorial! Giving this a try for sure!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the soft colors and the soft effect you achieved. I like this tutorial style, it is very clear and easy to follow. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I love this collage design! Thank you for such a nice tutorial. The soft colors are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous result, Kim. The blue of your poppies is outta this world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is LOVELY!!! The blue of the poppies makes the card POP. Thank you for the great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super tutorial! I really must remember that those poppies can be colored something other than yellow or orange:)
    I hope to see you designing here more often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Kim, I love this card - the colours and the technique fabulous...one for me to CASE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply stunning! love the mix of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TFS your collage steps Kim. What CS did you use for your base? I Loved your turqouise poppies. Really made your card with the brown tones background Pop!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! I used a heavy weight white cardstock I get from Michaels. I believe it's 90lb weight but don't quote me on that! LOL. :-)

      Delete
  10. Beauiful card! Such a wonderful set of techniques used ofr this card! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning card Kim! Perfect masking and loved the colors used! Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers!
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tutorial, Kim! Love the way you built up the background and the lovely colour combo - those poppies really pop :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful tutorial .I loved the background created by mixing various techniques ,lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow !! what a stunning card ...Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial for it !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card, Kim! Love this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your tutorial and technique in creating this eye popping card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks fabulous and thanks for a great tutorial, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. great Tutorial, easy to understand - thanks a bunch
    CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very beautiful card. I love color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the great tutorial - I will file it in my technique folder.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my!!!! This is excellent and your pictures and how-to's were so helpful to me as I don't typically stamp in collage-y style!! Your card is soft and beautiful and speaks to the heart!! Love your work - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous arty card and brilliant tutorial - thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kim, I am so loveing what you do with this stamp set. I am so glad I bough it, now to try using it. Your card is so eye catching. Very talented

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never seem to know what to use for a collage background, so thanks for sharing your creative method, Kim. I love the look of the tans with the bright blue poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the colors you have chosen. Very nice card!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a beautiful, elegant card, and the colours go so well, just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy Cow, Sista! This is absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)