Wednesday, September 25, 2019

{Spotlight Project} Maria Experiments With A Stencil


Hello there STAMP friends! For today's Spotlight project I conducted an experiment! I had this idea and decided to just give it a try. Join me in my process. This is what I created.


STEP 1
Gather supplies - Neenah cardstock, Altenew inks, Peacock Feathers stencil, Feathery stamp and die. I also used makeup brushes and sponge daubers to apply the inks.


STEP 2
I taped my cardbase to the mat, using the lines on the grid which I can see underneath the mat to be sure my stripes would be straight. Mask off the first stripe (I ended up using scrap paper and post-it tape rather than masking tape) and apply the lightest ink.



STEP 3
After completing the lightest stripe, I moved the masks to prepare for the second stripe then inked it.


STEP 4
Here's the last stripe. Each time before I removed the masks I sprinkled some water droplets onto the inked area.


STEP 5
Here are the completed stripes.


STEP 6
So the experiment was actually to see what would happen combining the organic feathers over the bold stripes. And to see what would happen combining the purples and blues I'd chosen to use for my peacock feathers. So I taped down the stencil and applied the blue inks.


STEP 7
And this is what happened! The colors are all a bit dark where layered over the darker purple tones. But I was happy to see a bit of the lighter teal where it hit the white areas.


Wanting to get some pops of lighter color into the mix, I ended up heat embossing a small circle in the center of each feather. Unfortunately, I used my Wow powder and it's not opaque like my Zing is.


Notice how the dots all appear to be different colors? Only the dots on the white are the true color! I finished up the card by adding a stamped and die cut peacock feather along with my heat embossed sentiment.



Hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. I enjoyed the process but don't know if I'd do it again ;) If I did, I would try using yellow and red or orange I think.

If you should find yourself placing an order soon, I'd love it if you used my STAMPGIRLMARIA code for an additional 20% off! 

Feathery 
preview-Feathery

Feathery Dies
preview-Featherydies

preview-peacockfeathers

8 comments:

  1. This is an amazing process to create this awesome card - love the products - the purples - and the entire card - nice work - TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous fun technique, and a fascinating result
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome background when you added the feathered stencil...such a great color combo...tfs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design and color combination. Your stenciled background is the perfect setting for this feather.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)