Thursday, February 19, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Monika Creates Scented Cards Using Homemade Embossing Paste


Hi, everybody. Today I'm having a play with homemade embossing paste and some of the ARTplorations stencils.

Making your own paste is a really good way to explore the use of embossing paste, especially as most of you will have the ingredients needed already at home. You simply mix some talcum powder with some PVA glue for a gooey consistency similar to a sponge cake mix, and you're ready to go. The added bonus is that it can make wonderfully scented cards as the perfume of the talcum powder will last for quite a while.

Here is my first card. It's actually my very first attempt at using homemade embossing paste:





I was working with the ARTplorations Stencils: Bold Florals. Keeping it simple, I only decided to use one flower and masked the rest off using post it notes, as you can see in the picture below.


I had coloured my embossing paste using about 5 drops of red ink refill which matched my card stock. I then spread a little of my mixture across my flower using an old credit/store card, removed my stencil, sprinkled some glitter over my flower and allowed it to dry. Once dried, I rounded a couple of corners, stamped my sentiment, from the Boxed Blooms and Bold Sentiments set, layered on my cream base card, and added a cluster of gems to my flower center to finish.

Here is another image which captures the sparkle a little better. I rather like the simplicity of the coloured blossom with the added glitter combined with the bold sentiment.


Next up is a slightly different take using the ARTplorations Stencils: Shutters, still keeping with the same overall colour scheme:


This time I used the whole of the stencil image to cover a piece of white card. I securely attached my card to the stencil, reverse side, before spreading my embossing paste across. Once dried, I layered onto matching red card, added some faux stitching in dark grey, stamped, layered, and added my sentiment from Bloom Sketches before finishing off using some tiny golden stars.

As always there is a little video explaining how I mixed my embossing paste, showing the texture I achieved and the usual tips as I go along with getting messy.


Hope you feel inspired to get messy making some scented cards. We here at STAMPlorations would love to see them. Let us know what scent you've chosen. It will be fun imagining!

Have a lovely weekend!

Hugs,
Monika x

PS: Mine is Imperial Leather, we've had it for ages and used to use it to treat the rubber seals around the caravan windows.


Products Monika used in today's projects:

        

Boxed Blooms & Bold Sentiments and Bloom Sketches are premium 5" by 7" sets we offer in in the STAMPlorations stamp club! We've got lots of perks, including a free 4" by 6" stamp set like Trendy Butterflies sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) to every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for February. We'll pick a commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on March 1!

21 comments:

  1. Oh how great is this! Gorgeous cards and lovely video. Thank you for sharing recipe for home made embossing paste. Must try!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and awesome post!! So very excited about what is shared here!! I am going to have to give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever, Monika! I love your cards, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! So cool that you can make embossing paste! I would try this but I don't have the glue or the powder on hand so I guess I'll stick with the real stuff for now but what a great idea to mix up different colours. The cards look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two wonderful cards Monika. I love the fresh scent of baby powder if making my own paste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool!! I love the flower and love that you made your own embossing paste. Fabulous, fabulous technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, surely will try that homemade embossing paste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, surely will try that homemade embossing paste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am gonna try this for sure Monica! Thanks for this lovely tip! And gorgeous cards!! <3
    Cheers!
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cards ! I have been making texture paste using same technique and I loved the idea of using glitter on it ,Fab effect !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also have fun my own homemade embossing paste with awesome smell!
    Your cards are truly gorgeous with beautiful stenciling! Love the addition of the glitter on this pretty flower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant fun. I see this could be so versatile. Must go and get messy. That flower is so simple and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I´ll give a try to that homemade embossing paste ;o)
    Sound great to match it with Colors I got as paper....
    You did a wonderfull Card Job
    CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monika, your cards are stunning. Your red on red flower, aglitter with sparkle is incredible; the shutters, eye-catching! As always, a fabulous video! Adding this to my must try list!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the glittery raised flower on your card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glitter is pretty much my favorite and this card rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your voice Monika and your card is funtastic the one with flower is adorable and so sparkle the other one is rich with that embossing powder so lovely
    I remember a young man in my old office he came from England and speaking english like you...my english is bad hehe
    a bit like American English not English England :)
    Lovely Video Monika (why you dont use C on your name ;) as I know MONIKA is a German name and Monica is American or England name :))
    hugs,

    Monika R

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW Monika, that's a gorgeous floral card and to make your own paste - brilliant...love that, and must try it out. Very effective second card too

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your homemade paste works beautifully. Love the shutters card. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)