{SPECIAL POSTS & PROMOTIONS}

Select Christmas themed products are 45% off - sale ends 7/31
Grab our 8th Birthday Bundles at 30% off + free US shipping shipping!

NEW! Paper Goods Subscription - Get 4 paper goods products ($28 value) starting at just $17 + free shipping! 10% off your first month with code.

Enter the store giveaway for a chance to win a Paper Goods Bundle ($49 value)
Subscribe to our store's mailing list for a chance to win a $25 prize code
SMILE thin metal die is free with every purchase of at least $21 (ends 7/31 or while supplies last)


***
Comment on all posts published in July for a chance to win one of ten (10) $7 prize codes.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Evolution of a Card with Shirley



Hi there!  Ever started making a card and found that it wasn't matching the vision in your head? Today I thought I'd show you how this card developed, and the thought process along the way.


This was going to be a monochromatic card, with maybe a dash of colour, using the latest 5x7 STAMP Club set, Trendy Spring Blooms. I started by stamping the flower and leaves in Iced Spruce Distress Ink, spritzing lightly each time. I masked the flower before stamping the leaves, some of them second generation.



Then I stamped the sentiment in black because I was going to be using a diecut flower in pink and black.  I also decided I wanted a running stitch border.


I wasn't thrilled with the flower, so I decided to cover it up with a diecut. I put the diecut flower in place without sticking it down, just to see how I liked it.


Time to decide what colour card base to use.  I went for black.


But the flower was just 'sitting there' and didn't seem to belong to the foliage. So I used some Infusions Powders (similar to Brusho type powders but also containing walnut stain) to rub onto the leaves, spritzed and stamped ready to cut out.  The powder is so fine, and a little goes a long way. 


Now, the thing with the leaf die is that it's solid, so aligning the stamped image with the die can be a bit tricky, but I found that holding my stamped card up to the light made it relatively easy.


Time to finish the card. I glued some black paper to the reverse of the diecut flower to keep all the pieces together, then adhered it to the panel. I then adhered the panel to the black card at a slight angle.  Here's another look at the finished card.


If you try out any of the techniques from our Spotlight posts, link up your project up at our Spotlight Project Showcase.

    

8 comments:

We're lifting comment moderation since the spammer appears to have left this blog alone for the time being. If he/she comes back, comment moderation goes back on. We love hearing from fellow crafters! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)