Monday, August 08, 2016

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Bold Florals Bookmark by MariLynn


MariLynn here, sharing how I turned a piece of designer paper into a really cute bookmark.




I wanted to tape my stencil to the dp. I like taking scotch tape and putting it on the back of my hand first. The oils on the back of my hand make the tape so it will be less sticky and won't tear the paper when I tape the stencil down.


Here you can see the tape holding down Bold Florals ARTplorations stencil


I like to make my own texture paste. I make it in this m&m container because the lid shuts tight and the paste will last several days. I make my paste with this recipe: 1 spoon of white school glue, 1 spoon of white paint and 2 spoons of baby powder. (I like buying white school glue this time of year with back to school sales. One year I got a bunch of bottles for 25 cents a bottle.)

I used a pallet knife to spread the texture paste.


This is what it looks like when I removed the stencil.


 After the paste dried, I painted  over the flowers with watercolors.





 Then using black stazon ink I added STAMPlorations Mini Mixed Media Background stamps





I cut the stenciled paper and put black cardstock behind it. I cut another piece of the dp and put black cardstock behind it.



I cut a piece of cheesecloth that was bigger than the base of the bookmark.



I added tacky glue to the base of the bookmark.



I scrunched the cheesecloth and glued it down.



I then added the floral layer over the cheesecloth.


I hope you enjoyed this project and that you are inspired to create.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is really stunning! You are the bomb diggity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! This is so pretty!! I love how you did this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Thanks for,the recipe for,the paste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are undoubtedly the McGuyver of the Craft World! I love your homemade recipes and this is so darn cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous bookmark MariLynn, and thank you do much for the tutorial.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL bookmark!!!
    LOVE the colours and textures, feeling INSPIRED by the design and tutorial => THANK YOU for sharing with us MariLynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks AMAZING! Love seeing it from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)