Friday, February 09, 2018

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Putty Filler Tag by Asmah

Happy Friday everyone! It's me Asmah...and as promised, I am back again today with another super quick super easy tutorial to share with you. I created a tag using inexpensive and affordable main product anyone can get at your nearest hardware.  


Let's gets started. Now, the first main thing you need is putty filler paste. Why I chose this hardware product? It begun somewhere in 2014 while painting my home and some cracks in the wall needed filler so that's how I got the idea to use putty filler in my art project the following year. The first experiment I did was on old book cover for Art Journal and it turned out great!
I like its consistency and smooth texture that makes it easy to spread directly over the stencil if you want it white as is but for this project I blended with Deco Art paint for color. The mixture of both parties turn into soft and moist substance and you are ready to apply it through the stencil with brush, sponge or whatever tools you find reassuring and comfortable with. 


I used emanations ARTplorations stencil to create patterns on tags #1 nesting dies tag. 
Be sure to wash your stencil after use right away to save the life of your stencil so one day your grandchild can use it too! 


 I love how the way it turned out looking rugged and sandy on most part but you can easily use fine sandpaper to smooth out the texture or leave it like that if you want. I adore the rugged surface and decided to let it be. The small amount of putty filler used here dried very quick so I must say this simple tag took me about half an hour to get done not counting on the foundation which was already cut with Sizzix a couple months back {smile}.


 Next step was coloring process. I used brush and intuitively picked yellow orche and orange watercolors. At this point I wasn't sure if the color combination seemed okay but I just went with the flow and decided on what else later.


 So here came the decision to highlight the rugged pattern by swiping Tim Holtz Distress Ink gently over the textural surface and distressing the edges as well. 


 Lastly I added a quote from Pinterest and highlight the edges with white gel pen.
 

So there you have it for today. I hope you will try out this tutorial and kindly give me a shout out if you do {chuckle}. This is one easy-breezy and economic way to build up appearance in your project and should you wonder if the thick substance won't last long in your project after a while, I can say it won't based on my Art Journal book cover which is still in perfect condition since August 2015 until now.


Lastly, once again here's today's easy and quick showcase that I hope will inspire you to create your project and experiment hardware product(s). I shall be back again next month with another textural product; yes, you guessed correctly...from the hardware.
Stay tuned and see you soon.
Have a great day and happy creating.

Hugs and smiles, 

STAMPlorations Products Used:
  


While shopping at STAMPlorations, I'll be glad if you mention my name at check out for special price upon purchase:

7 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea to use the putty mixture - it gives a wonderful result.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful and thanks for the tip too!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a great idea to create awesome texture to your projects - putty is genius:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea, thank you for sharing. Gorgeous project, lots of texture and gorgeous colours x

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)