Friday, April 19, 2019

{Mixed Media Tutorial} MariLynn Creates an Altered Easter Egg



Decorating eggs just go along with Easter, but when I made my project I read that decorating eggs is one of the oldest forms of art. I read that archaeologists have found that some ancient Romans were buried with eggs. So I guess everything old is new again. I am going to show you how to decorate an egg with a new Mixed Media twist.


1. I started with this cheap red plastic egg.




2. I decided to paper mache` the egg. I covered it with glue



3. I put small pieces of typing paper into the glue until the egg was covered.



4. The way my paper mache` egg looked. There was lots of texture but that doesn't matter because this project has lots of texture.



5. So to embrace the texture I took tissue paper.



I placed my Fairy Tale Forest stencil on top of the tissue paper.



I then covered the stencil with texture paste.



6. I knew my stencil had some stains on it but I didn't notice the red until it came off onto the tissue paper. But it really didn't matter because I knew I was going to paint it any way. Don't you love how the texture on the tissue paper looks?



7. I cut the tissue paper into smaller sections to wrap around the paper mache` egg.



8. This shows how I put glue on the back side of the tissue paper to wrap and adhere to the egg.



9. Here are some photos of the egg with the tissue paper on it.





10. I poured some Colorique paint out onto a piece of acetate. I painted the egg without washing my paint brush in between. I let the paint mix on the egg.



11. How the egg looked after I painted it. Don't you love the vibrant bright colors?




12. To bring out the texture I rubbed gold metallic lustre over the egg.




13. I took a strip of cardstock 1 cm wide by 14 cm long.



14. I rolled it into a circle and glued it. This is what I set the egg on.



15. I stamped Butterfly Row. I only needed one of the butterflies so I just stamped part of it. I colored the one butterfly I needed with prisma colored pencils.



16. I cut some gold thread about 2 1/2 feet long. I took some quilled paper roses that I had made and I fussy cut the butterfly and added a small piece of black cardstock to make the antennae.



17. I wrapped the gold thread around the egg and glued the roses and butterfly.









I hope you were inspired by my project. If you don't want to alter an egg, what else could you alter? (A piece of wood, a tin can, a cardboard box...?) Let your imagination go.




List of Supplies:
Plastic Egg
Glue
White typing paper
Quilled paper roses
colored pencils
DecoArt-metallic lustre.
Colorique paint
Gold thread

Butterfly Row


Fairy Tale Forest- ARTplorations Stencil

8 comments:

  1. I have never thought to stencil onto tissue paper and boy does it look fabulous. Love the texture and colour of your unique and stunning mixed media egg. So enjoyed reading the post and learnt lots....Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking egg. Like how you added the roses and butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what an exquisite result - this is amazing!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I like all the bright colors to welcome spring!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)