Thursday, August 14, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shery Plays with Bloom Sketches, Gift Wrapping Paper, and Twinkling H2Os




Hey, everyone! It's Shery and it's my turn to do a spotlight project. I actually did several mixed media projects (tags, a canvas panel, a card, and a scrapbook layout) because I wanted to get a lot of use out of the roll of gift wrapping paper I found. For this post, I'll share the tags I created plus a teaser on the second (because I have a video for it that I'm still editing and won't get done before this post goes live). I'll share the card and layout in my next post :o)

While I was rummaging through my supplies, I came across several rolls of gift wrapping paper I bought a couple of years ago at Target. They had a newsprint design and I knew they'd be perfect for my projects. (They were in the dollar bin and thought I may not see them again so I bought them out.) They're great for backgrounds and that's what I used them for in my tags (and subsequent projects).

To create my trio of mixed media tags, I used stamps in the newly released Bloom Sketches, manila tags, gel medium, gesso (white and transparent), Distress and archival inks, chalk ink, Twinkling H2Os, a distressing tool, scrap burlap ribbon, and stapler. 


Step 1
I adhered gift wrapping paper onto the manila tags with gel medium.

Step 2
I mixed white and transparent gesso (both by Liquitex)
and used an old credit card to apply it unevenly onto my tags.

Step 3
With a TH distressing tool, I distressed the edges of the tags
then sponged Distress ink (black soot) .

Step 4
I stamped the poppies in jet black archival ink.

Step 5
I colored the poppies with Twinkling H2Os (sweet alfalfa, mango mamba,
blue zircon, and persimmon). [Note: In the video for the mixed media canvas
panel, I show how I watercolored the poppies -- I basically used the
same techniques on both projects.]

Here's a close up of one of the tags. (I love the shimmer that the
Twinkling H2Os create!)

Step 6
I stamped the sentiments on the tags using VersaMagic chalk ink (midnight black) and finished the tags by stapling black burlap ribbon scraps I found in my stash.

Before I end this post, here's a preview of the mixed media canvas panel I did after I finished the tags. I'll have an extra post tomorrow for this project with the video. So I hope you'll come back then if you'd like to see how I did this one from start to finish. Here's the video showing how I made this canvas from start to finish :o)


Thanks so much for visiting. Hope my project inspired you! 

Shery

stmp1061.jpeg

7 comments:

  1. Wow, so beautiful, Shery! Love your photo tutorial! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!! Tags that are works of art...and those new flowers. OMGorgeous! Thank you so much for the tutorial. Twinkling H2Os? Gesso New to me (yes, emerging from under the rock), but I'm guessing I want them! Now the challenge: finding them where I live..Truly a wonderfully inspiring, 'learning' post!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great tutorial! The tags are beautiful. I have more than 100 Twinks, and I rarely use them. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tag designs, & tutorial. Thanks for joining the Mixed Media Mojo Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)