Tuesday, August 19, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Cornelia Puts the Spotlight on the Sentiment Builders


Hi, Cornelia here today. I want to share a water color emboss resist technique with you, using two of the sentiment builder sets - Thank You and Happy.

The technique I used varies a bit and I have a tutorial for you below.


For the Happy Birthday card I also used those circles form the Holiday Artsy set and some sequins.


For the Thank You card, I heat embossed oink vellum with that pretty little flower from the Vignette: Eclectic Florals and added distress Stickles to the center.

I made a collage to not bore you with too many images.

You see my supplies: water color paper, Versamark, clear embossing powder, and my ancient watercolors that I used when I was in school...nothing fancy.

After clear embossing the sentiment, I took a brush and applied some water color around the letters and misted them with water, using a mini mister. See fist picture in the second row. Added some more colors and misted again, as needed. Once I was done and the paper dried, I cleaned off the embossed sentiment - middle image last row.



Click on photo to enlarge

The Thank You card I made slightly differently. I clear embossed just like before, but I wet the paper before applying my watercolors.


You get a slightly different effect - a somewhat softer blend of colors. You also have to work quite fast (the paper dries very quickly) and then you get borders rather than a smooth blend of colors. I kind of like both effects - depends on the card you want to make. And the overall feel of the card can be influenced with different tyes of embellishments. 

  

So here they are next to each other and you can compare - which one is your favorite?

Have a great day and thank you all for visiting!


stmp1050.jpeg  stmp1051.jpeg  stmp1038.jpeg  stmp1024.jpeg

2 comments:

  1. Watercolouring is now in a trend these days and I am also tried using new techniques by watching different videos. Thanks for sharing your beautiful art. Both the cards are gorgeous and love your scripted letters with watercolor effect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty x two, Cornelia! Both versions are equally as lovely - and I like the technique you've used in embossing first and adding strokes of paint. I've tried using smaller images, with different colour inks to bring out the main sentiment: didn't work a hill of beans for me. Yours here, however, heading to my 'must try" list...
    ~c

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)