Friday, August 29, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Deepti Creates a Stunning Card Using the Focal Black and White Technique


Hello, friends! Deepti here with my very first spotlight project and I am both excited and nervous :) I hope I will be able to inspire you. I am showcasing a technique often done in photography. I have used STAMPlorations beautiful new release, Bloom Sketches set.


So, here's a look at the finished project. The look that I have tried to create is termed as Focal Black & White. Here we try to keep the whole photo black and white with one focal colored image.


Here are a few examples from real photography to explain this effect and how I got inspired.


Here's a step-by-step photo tutorial to showcase the process of making this card.


STEP 1
I stamped the image on a blank card panel multiple times, going off the edge, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.


STEP 2
I created a mask for the image that I wanted to keep in color. I used a post-it note to make my mask and adhered it on focal flowers. I also colored the stems and leaves in black using a black Sharpie marker. (Any black marker will work too.)


STEP 3
I inked the edges starting from outside of the panel and moving very lightly all around the edges of the panel. I used Distress Black soot. (Any black ink will work.)


STEP 4
I then removed the masks and colored the poppies in red again using my Sharpie markers. Copic, Distress, Spectrum Noir, and any kind of markers are okay to use too. Since I wanted to keep the colors really bold, I used Sharpie.


STEP 5
Once the panel was ready, I framed it twice by sticking it on white and black card stock. Then I heat embossed the sentiment from the same set using Versamark ink and Whisper Opaque white embossing powder. Finally, I adhered this panel on a white card base.


Here's the finished card once again :) The card was photographed in the sunlight.




That finishes my very first spotlight feature :) I hope you enjoyed it and will give this a try. Happy crafting!

stmp1061.jpeg

16 comments:

  1. Great idea and thank you for the tutorial - I think I understod it and will have a try on it very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really amazing technique Deepti! Great tutorial --- thanks! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Super gorgeous! Love it...must give it a try! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely STUNNING card, Deepti! Thank you so much for the fantastic tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous creation and thank you for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING - FABULOUS - AWE inspiring!!!! GF you are such an amazing artist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG... that´s looking such amazing !!!
    Great workout
    CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning card, Deepti, and providing us with the 'how to' is a most welcome bonus! Your abundant creativity WOWs yet again!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning card, Deepti! You have absolutely nothing to be nervous about; you are a very gifted designer and loaded with talent. Thanks for the step by step tutorial. I am intrigued by this and hope to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deepti, I loved this so much. Here's my take http://craftynomad.blogspot.no/2014/09/goody-hoo.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow !! this is simply gorgeous !! Thank you so much for the step by step tutorial .I am so inspired :)

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)