Wednesday, August 06, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Does the Iron-Off Embossing Technique with the Boxed Blooms & Bold Sentiments


I'm thinking outside of the box again (quite literally this time!) with the Boxed Blooms and Bold Sentiments set. I've used the iron-off embossing technique to achieve a flat image that looks like it has depth and dimension, and extended the image beyond its frame.


I'm sorry I don't have a picture tutorial for you, but I got so carried away as I was making the card, I forgot to take step-by-step photos along the way! But it's a pretty straightforward procedure, so you'll be able to get the gist of it with these written instructions.

  1. Swoosh a card panel with anti-static bag.
  2. Stamp image with Versamark, apply clear embossing powder, and heat.
  3. Squidge some Distress Inks onto a craft mat or acrylic block. (I prefer acrylic block because it's completely smooth.) I used Peeled Paint, Worn Lipstick, and Dried Marigold.
  4. Pick up the ink with a wet paintbrush and apply as watercolours. The embossing acts as a barrier and allows you to flood and layer each section with colour, and you can tip the card as it's drying to help spread the layers into each other.
  5. Paint layers of colour around the outside of the box.
  6. Load the paintbrush with water and add to different areas of the border and you'll get paler areas. (Dab any areas that become too wet).
  7. When dry, lay the card face-up on a solid heatproof surface (I used an old melamine chopping board that I keep for such occasions) and lay a clean piece of copy paper over the top. Iron on a normal heat setting, (I found a regular iron, no steam, worked better than my craft iron). The embossing will melt into the copy paper leaving the stamped image on your card completely flat.
  8. Stamp a sentiment. (I used one from the Patchwork Frenzy: Graphic Squares set)
  9. Mount onto dark card then onto your base card. I used black to pick up on the sentiment.

Here's a close-up:


Check out your stamps to see if you have any framed images that you can extend. I just love colouring outside the lines!


5 comments:

  1. Shirley, your card is gorgeous! Your explanation of the technique is clear and definitely user-friendly; so much so that after I finish up a couple cards I'm in the midst of puzzling over, I'm going to give this a try! I'm taking the online Stretch Your Stamps 2 class - and don't have any background stamps for the emboss resist 'homework'...but with your inspiration and instructions, I may well adapt and innovate! Some homework is better than none at all! Awesome card - and thank you!!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very innovative project with clean and clear lines!!! Thanks for the steps you told!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a neat idea! I want to try it. Beautiful coloring!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)