Wednesday, June 03, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Highlighting Marigolds


Hi, peeps! I love the marigold image in The Birds and The Blooms, the current release for STAMP Club members. Rather than colour in the image, I thought I'd colour in the background instead to highlight the flowers.



I stamped the lowest image first onto hot pressed watercolour paper, then stamped two more images, masking as I went along. This is the first time I've used hot pressed, and I prefer it to cold pressed because it has a much smoother texture and finish.


I masked all three flowers and taped the watercolour paper down to a wooden art board. Well, it's a chopping board really but don't tell anyone - it never saw the kitchen so it doesn't smell of food ;)  I painted the area around the flowers with water and sprinkled on some yellow and orange Brusho powders.


The surrounding areas were covered with scrap papers (it's amazing how far the tiniest spritzes of colour will travel!) then I spritzed the paper with water. You only need a tiny sprinkle of Brush to get a lot of colour.

I should really have used masking fluid instead of paper masks because they got really soggy, but I just peeled them off quickly before any of the spritzed colour had chance to soak through.


Then I smooshed some Peeled Paint Distress Ink onto an acrylic block, loaded up a wet paintbrush and splattered it over the watercolour paper.



To finish the card off, I adhered a strip of patterned paper down the side of a folded card and trimmed the watercolour panel to fit. When the mood takes me, I save strips of patterned paper and keep some out on the desk in a little plastic cup. It was either going to be the polka-dotty piece or the yellow/orange weave piece that you can see in the cup. The dotty piece worked better because it picked out the orange, whereas the weave piece fought with the orange to pick out the yellow so the balance wasn't right. The sentiment is also from The Birds and The Blooms set.


Stamps Shirley used in today's project:

  

The Birds and the Blooms is the June/July 2015 set in the STAMPlorations stamp club! We've got lots of perks, including free worldwide shipping, a free 4" by 6" stamp set sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and choice of 2 ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) in every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for June. We'll pick ONE (1) commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on the first week of July!

25 comments:

  1. I like the look you got by coloring the background instead of the image. I don't think I've ever seen it done before, but now I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty card! I love how the coloring behind the flowers lets them shine in black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card, great technique I might just have to try it!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the effect of colouring the background and leaving the "focus" white; also, I love your cup of scraps. I've been doing something similar - I don't like cutting into a 12x12 piece of paper for a 1/2" border!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the effect of colouring the background and leaving the "focus" white; also, I love your cup of scraps. I've been doing something similar - I don't like cutting into a 12x12 piece of paper for a 1/2" border!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm - this is so interesting to me. I have just ordered masking fluid - last week - not here yet but this will be the first thing I try!! Thanks bunches and bunches for the inspiration. I learn so much from all of you at stamplorations. I'm grateful. j

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin' this look a lot...the color just makes those marigolds jump off the card. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty. Earlier I was looking at some images I had left white and put on coloured backgrounds. It's a great technique and I love your brusho background. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, Shirley, I love your watercolor background, and sometimes I think when the flowers aren't colored it shows them off even better. This is a great example of that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card! I never noticed that image in that set. I kept getting drawn to the birds. Now I believe that I NEEEEED that set. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely, yet simple. I've never thought of leaving the stamped image uncoloured...funny how another person's work can inspire your own....I will be trying this one for sure...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great technique Shirley and I love the focal point. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Love the colors behind the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great technique! love the brusho BG, really pop up the image beautifully! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful card - love the way you have let the background colours bring the images to life - amazing :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG --- thats beautyfull !!!
    I love how the coloring behind the flowers lets them shine in black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is brilliant to use the flower colours as background tones. I've already pinned this for future inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous and such an intriguing idea to leave the image white and add color around it - looks so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)