Friday, September 23, 2016

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Mini 2-sided Chalkboard by Melissa


Hi! It’s Melissa here with a fun mixed media tutorial to share with you today. In keeping with the back-to-school time of year, I've made a small, and reversible, chalkboard. I hope you enjoy seeing the process I used to create it.
  
I started with an old shingle I found. It measures about 5" x 7". 

1. I masked off the edges of the shingle.
2. Prepped/Painted the center with white gesso and allowed to dry.
3. Spray painted the center with chalkboard spray. (I added several layers.)
4. Removed the masking tape.


5. Masked off part of the chalkboard with ARTplorations Shower of Flutters stencil and also some Post-It Removable Labeling Tape.
6-7. Painted white acrylic paint over and around the masked off areas, removed the stencil and tape and allowed to dry.
8. Added red Gelatos with a paint brush. It blended with the white acrylic paint and stained, to my displeasure, some areas a very bright pink which I could not wipe off!


9. I stamped the sentiment and some butterflies from STAMPlorations Trendy Butterflies and heat embossed in red.
10. Tried out some writing with chalk.


 11. I decided that the colors were too bright to my liking and added some white acrylic paint to tone down the bright pink. It took a couple of coats!
 12. My husband drilled a small hole in the top and I strung some white cord through to hang it.
(He actually did this after I finished both sides - see the other side below.)

 Side 1

 I followed nearly the same steps for the second side.



 This time, I painted the edges with blue acrylic paint and used the STAMPlorations stencil Stars Align and some silvery white stencil paste.


 I masked off bits and pieces on the edge of this side of the chalkboard in a somewhat random pattern. This is not my usual style, but I was in an experimental mood. I'd probably stick with the stencil as it is for a future project, but I'm okay with the results of this.
 Side 2

 2 sides - 1 a little more feminine & the other a little more masculine.


That's all I have for today. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and look forward to reading your comments!

Grace & Peace,
melissastamplorationsdtbadge



 ARTplorations Stencils:
 

STAMPlorations Stamps: 


9 comments:

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)