Monday, September 05, 2016

{Mixed Media Tutorial} A Mixed Media Paper Pin by MariLynn


I have a fun tutorial to share with you today. I am going to show you how I turned paper into a cool mixed media paper pin. 


1. I started with this designer paper that had little yellow flowers printed on it.

 

2. I used black stazon ink and  STAMPlorations Big Bloom Factory stamp, to stamp onto the designer paper.
 

3. I took my Versamark ink pad and pressed it straight on top of the flower.


4. Then I covered the flower with Ultra Thick Embossing Powder.


5. Now all it needs is to be heated with my heat gun.


6,  There were some parts that didn't completely melt, but I left it that way because it adds extra texture.


7. I fussy cut the flower out.


8. The designer paper isn't study enough for a pin, even with the embossing, so I stamped the flower again on a piece of scrap cardstock. I stamped it 4 times.


9. I fussy cut the flowers out. I cut them a little smaller than I did the designer paper one.


10. Because I didn't want any white showing with the layers, I took a black sharpie marker and went around the petals giving them a margin of black.


11. I layerd all four of the cardstock flowers. I used Aleene's tacky glue to adhere the layers together. While the glue made the cardstock kind of soft, I pinched the edges of the flowers in making the flower curve,


12, This photo shows how curved it is.


13. While the four cardstock layers dried, I took the designer paper flower and I added texture paste with ARTplorations  Bold Florals stencil.


14. I centered the stencil flower over the fussy cut flower. I used tape to maks off the edges.


15 Here is how it looked when I took the stencil off.


16. I wanted extra texture, so while the texture paste was still wet, I took a bamboo skewer and I poked at the flower to give it a bumpy texture.



17, After the texture paste dried, I glued the designer paper flower on top of the cardstock layers.


18. I added color to my flower, by watercoloring with crayola markers.



19. Check out this quick video to see how easy it is to watercolor with markers.



20. I hot glued a pin to the back of the flower.


21. I finished the flower pin off with gold acrylic paint on the petals, and I glued gold beads in the center of the pin.


5 comments:

  1. So clever. Love the layering of the flower and the curve you created. So creative and thank you for the step by step x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative, looks fabulous. Great step by step tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun mixed media flower pin project Marilyn. TFS your steps. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous pin MariLynn - so creative and innovative.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)