Tuesday, February 07, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Becca Proves that Love is Messy


I've been really busy lately with Valentine's Day custom card orders - ranging from the weird to the sentimental. This week, I had an order from a fellow whose wife is an artist and I knew just which sets to pull out.


I decided right away that I wanted to play with some drips and splatters (because why not?) so I added a layer of gesso to a sheet of mixed media cardstock.


Using gesso on your paper first helps colors blend easier and drip much more fluidly because it prevents liquid from seeping into the porous fibers of the paper. 

Once the gesso was dry, I stamped the heart from A Funny Kinda Love, masked it, and then stamped it again. 


I used some shades of purple and pink Distress Crayons to color in the hearts and then smudged it around with my fingers. 

Then, I spritzed the hearts with water while holding my page vertically so the colors would drip down. 


Is that yummy?? I love making drips. After that, I masked the hearts again and added some grunge to the background and around the edges using stamps from Scribbly Splattery Grunge.


I went around the edges of my hearts using Black Soot Distress Crayons and smudged it out to create a little bit of a haze around my hearts. 




I decided I didn't like the glaring white, so I sponged over the whole card with Milled Lavendar Distress inks and then embossed a sentiment from the Life in Full Color stamp set, chopping it up into little pieces. 


Put it all together and what do you get? 


Taaa daaa!!
I'd love to see what types of valentines you all are making. If my card inspired you to create and blog something of your own, make sure to link your creation up to the Spotlight Gallery so we can ogle it!

13 comments:

  1. Wow you are always so creative and inspiring. This is an amazing Valentine card x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you have convinced me to get out my Distress crayons and play. This is amazing!!! I am loving all the free form stuff that you did on this!! I am pinning this for future inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how your card turned out...should try your technique thanks for the tutorial



    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, what a lovely mess you made Becca. Love it. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)