Wednesday, December 19, 2018

{Special Post} STAMPlorations at Time Out Challenges


Hello, STAMPlorations friends! There's a new challenge up at Time Out Challenges that STAMPlorations is sponsoring. It's an Inspired by Words challenge:


You can use one or some of the words as the basis for your project. Taking a break from making Christmas cards, I decided to go with a birthday card.

As I was getting ready to start making my card, I remembered a painting technique called "negative painting" -- an alternative painting approach wherein you paint around the object/subject instead of painting the object/subject itself. So I thought about using that technique on my card. I took some liberties with the technique and translated it to stamping -- specifically to my style of stamping.



I love grunge and I love collage stamping so combined with the negative painting technique, I'm calling this stamping technique "negative stamping" -- that is, stamping an image (preferably a large outline stamp) and then stamping around it, leaving the image uncolored.

So for my first negative stamping, I stamped the large daffodils in the center and began stamping around it with various stamps -- big splatters, small splatters and ink blots, background text and postmark -- first in the same ink color as the main image and then I layer-stamped the ink blots and splatters in orange, yellow, and blue, stamping them close to my main image to draw the eye there. I suppose I could have made it easier on myself by masking the daffodils but I wanted the end result to look more free-flowing/organic rather than all neat and clean lines. I finished the card by stamping the sentiment.


Check out the cards that the TO team made here and then come play with us! The winner (voted by the design team) will receive a $15 gift certificate to spend on the STAMPlorations store and another winner (randomly drawn) will receive a goodie bag containing at least $20 worth of STAMPlorations products.

Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to smile :o)


6 comments:

  1. OMG, Shery, What a cool technique. I must try in the future. TFS Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning card Shery - love it!
    Christmas blessings to you and yours
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the splashes of bold colour, very effective x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this looks amazing as it is, there was no need to mask the daffodils! Merry Christmas and thank you for the lovely email I received from you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bold, bright and full of energy, Shery! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely wonderful Shery, and thank you for sharing this technique. You really rocked it here. Hoping you and your wonderful family had a lovely Chrismtas and wishing you a new year ans bight as your card! Thanks for all your kindness and generousity. Hugs, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)