Wednesday, March 18, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Shery Does Impressions on Gesso with Blossom Overture


Howdy, STAMPlorations friends! I know, I know...this spotlight project is late. All week I've been working on taxes and going to a bunch of doctor appointments. (I never knew being pregnant entails tons of lab work!) Anyway, earlier tonight I finally found an hour to play at my craft table and work on my spotlight project for today. So...better late than never! :o)

Here's a one layer mixed media card I made using one of my favorite gesso techniques. It involves stamping on gesso to create an impression.




STEP 1
I spread a generous amount of Whipped Spackle (a heavy bodied gesso) by Faber-Castell on my card base. The gesso doesn't have to be spread evenly, but it does need to be thick enough that when you stamp on it, there will be an impression left.


STEP 2
I waited about 5 minutes for the gesso to be semi-dry before stamping the rose from Blossom Overture three times. Tip: Wash your stamp immediately to prevent the gesso from drying and ruining your stamp.


STEP 3
I loosely watercolored on the rose impressions. Tip: Make sure the gesso has dried completely before watercoloring over it. In my case, I hastened the process with my heat tool.


STEP 4
 I stamped over the roses again with Memento Luxe Espresso Truffle. I didn't try to stamp exactly where the impressions were.


STEP 5
Next, I smooshed Distress Inks (Scattered Straw and Broken China) on an acrylic block and then  watercolored around the roses. 


Here's a close up of the roses so you can see the texture created by stamping on gesso:


STEP 6
Once everything was dry, I stamped the grunge musical notes (Mini Mixed Media Backgrounds) in Ranger Coffee archival ink for interest. I also stamped a simple sentiment from the Blossom Overture set and the card is done :o)



Hope you enjoyed my project. If you haven't tried stamping on gesso before, give it a try soon! It's fun :o)



Stamps Shery used in today's project:

     


Blossom Overture is the February/March 2015 set in the STAMPlorations stamp club. We've got lots of perks, including a free 4" by 6" stamp set sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and choice of 2 ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) in every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for March. We'll pick a commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on April 1!

28 comments:

  1. Simply stunning, very eye-catching colors Shery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clever use of gesso technique, I will give it a try, a beautiful work of art in beautiful color palette!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this technique, Shery! You always have something fun up your sleeve. :*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing texture Shery!! LOVE the blue rose:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this SO much! Definitely going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. Love the results you got.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, Shery...and since I have some gesso, I have no reason not to try this *grin*. Thanks so much for the how-to!!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks stunning Shery...another technique to try. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its SO artistic ! I am going to try it,Thanks for sharing it Sherry !

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat! I think this technique is too cool. Congrats on your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG this is stunning - thanks for the tutorial - I'd like to try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! Love the colors and awesome texture Shery! Super painterly and wonderful! I have to try this! Thanks so much,
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great technique to try--thanks for all the details! I love that pop of blue color on your card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the blue roses and I love mini mixed media bg's. I spotted those on the website last night and am trying to decide if I can wait for my next club shipment. That set is gorgeous. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! That's a new technique to me! Can't wait to try it! Your card is beautiful! Glad you had time to squeeze some creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Shery, Love your cool mixed media Gesso Technique. I can't wait to try when I get my new STAMPlorations order (hopefully tomorrow)! Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Shery! :)
    I loved this gesso technique..and will surely try this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. never saw befor... it´s a new technique and I have to remember maybe sometimes *gg
    Your work is such stunning !!! Love it
    CU hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my all-time favorite cards! Can't wait to give this a try--thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your card is absolutely beautiful! I love the wild look of the flowers, the bright colors and your sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing - those blossoms are lushly gorgeous and full vibrant color!! Love everything about this - SO very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic! Great shades of colors on the flowers. Such a beauty of a card.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't worked with gesso yet. Sure a beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)