Thursday, March 19, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Monoprinting Fun with Trendy Butterflies and Gelli Plate


Hello! I'm back again today with another project. I'm covering for Monika :o) I'm still having fun with my Gelli plate. Yesterday you saw me do some stamping on gesso. This time around, I did some stamping on my Gelli plate for my prints. It's another fun technique! Here's the card:


Don't have a Gelli plate? Don't despair! There are alternatives. Before I bought my Gelli plate a couple of years ago, I was doing my monoprinting on glass. I bought a few 8x10 frames from the dollar store and used the glass on those frames. Granted I had to Shery-proof it (line the edges with lots of duct tape) to make sure I don't cut myself on the glass (and also to give DH peace of mind whenever I work with things with sharp points or edges).

Stamping on Gelli plate is pretty easy! I brayered orange acrylic paint and then stamped the butterfly from Trendy Butterflies all over.


Then I pulled two prints. The one on top is the first print and the one on the bottom is the second print (which I used in my card). Because I never like wasting paint, I pulled a third print by laying cardstock over the Gelli plate and I got a really nice artsy frame that I can use later. I repeated the process, this time with blue acrylic paint.


The rest is pretty straightforward: I cut my panels in quarters and then adhered them to yellow textured cardstock. I added some sticker stitches and mounted the panel to my card base. Then on scrap cardstock, I stamped the distressed label and sentiment from Blossom Overture, fussy cut it, adhered it on the card with foam dots, and the card's done. 


I have to admit, I wasn't really feeling it with this card when I was putting it together because I was using way too many real layers for my comfort. However, I ended up liking the card after I was done. DH was pretty impressed and looked excited when he swung by my craft table to check up on me. I talk to myself a lot when I'm crafting; I get too quiet and he gets worried :o)

Anyway, see you again next week (hopefully!) for another spotlight project.



Stamps Shery used in today's project:

     


Blossom Overture is the February/March 2015 set in the STAMPlorations stamp club. We've got lots of perks, including a free 4" by 6" stamp set like Trendy Butterflies sent every 3rd shipment (or immediately after signing up for the semi-annual subscription) and choice of 2 ARTplorations stencils ($10 value) in every stamp club package mailed out to subscribers! For more info and to sign up, click here.


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for March. We'll pick a commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on April 1!

21 comments:

  1. Such great colors Shery!, your cards remind me of India. I like the stitching too I cannot attempt this one - no gelli here , will go and hunt for it now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool Shery! Love how Gelli plate gives the card a cool texture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love these Butterflies...
    Have too try the geliplate technique bei myself... for sure *lol
    My DIY Plate is in the fridge ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a super happy card Shery, love the colours. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really must try this Gelli printing lark. Love the results. A striking and beautiful card. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm *feeling it* this card, Shery...it's absolutely eye-catching, marvelous! Bright, vivid and, of course, the butterflies! I don't have these products, but I'm still inspired! Added to my 'must try down the road' list!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the different looks with card one and card two. This looks like a fun technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I loved the collage of different colored panel on the card !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing how you use the gelli plate - I never understood it before! Your card is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The gelli plate prints that you have been making lately are just SO fabulous. Today's card is yummy - love the happy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and that Gelli plate knock me out. You've done it again with this card. It's simply delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is stunning and the way you created it is marvelous!! Way to go - always something new to be learned here at the STAMPlorations blog!!! Awesomely cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So bright, cheerful and artsy Shery. I do not have a Gelli plate, but do have acrylic blocks (lg size) and plates for my Big Shot...hmmmm, getting ideas...Because of you! I have your Trendy Leaves too. TFS my friend. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bright and vibrant colors, love the gelli plate print butterfly with lovely stitching, Thanks for sharing your creative ideas so beautifully, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I love the primary colours! Great sentiment too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My plate is still not opened (won it from a contest I didn't know I'd entered--LOL!) Now you make me think I CAN use it & boy would I love to add more Stamplorations to my collection! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super idea to use the stamps with the Geliplate...lovely bright card Shery

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't even imagine the mess I would make with this technique!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)