Wednesday, August 01, 2018

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Mixes Stripes and Succulents


Hi peeps! You may have noticed that stripes have been featuring in my cards lately. I love the fresh, modern feel they give, and you don't need to add much more - a focal image, a sentiment and you're done.




I had a stripe-painting session a few weeks ago when I was preparing my samples for the Layered Watermelon and Layered Citrus cards. I used a broad water brush with either Distress Reinkers or Stains and I literally sloshed the stripes on. I didn't measure or try to keep them perfect - some of it's going to be covered up anyway. I usually start with a card-sized panel then trim it down so there's a bit of leeway there for correcting anything that's glaring.



I stamped some succulent images from the Succulently set on scrap card and coloured them with Distress Inks...



...then die-cut them using the coordinating dies. If you mis-align the die with the image, don't discard it; just cut a smaller border round the image.



I chose a sentiment and frame that would fit into the space on my card layout and swiped some colour through the 'fancactus' word.


And then it was just a case of assembling my card.



Don't forget to use my code STAMPGIRLSHIRLEY for 20% off all stamps, stencils and dies in the store. Happy stamping!

9 comments:

  1. Love the caed Shirley, the stripes are a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. TFS your stripes description and photo tutorial for your finished CASE succulent card, Shirley. I love the clean, crisp and fresh look of your fun card. TFS my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the greens work great together and I also like the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stripes-they
    are so fun and bright and
    make an awesome background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun, vibrant and fabulous card and love the freehand stripes too x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute succulents and I love the watercolour stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those stripes are perfect --- this is one of my latest favorite idea for backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)