Monday, March 27, 2017

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Love Always by Carol


Hi everyone, Carol here today to share how I created this Art Block from an old wooden stamp.


I started with a coat or two of gesso.


Following a recent play with some new Pebeo paints and lots of the new stencils I'd amassed quite a few pieces of coloured paper which were perfect for die cutting.

 

This one was mainly brayer roll off and I choose it for the back of my block. The Spellbinders die proved to be the perfect size so there was no measuring involved.


This sheet was secondary prints from the stencils and I choose a part where the Stained Glass stencil was fairly prominent.


Both pieces were attached using Gel Medium.

 

I  reapplied the Stained Glass stencil and used some Gel Medium through it...my thought process at this point hadn't progressed to the next stage when I realised I should have given the piece a coat of clear gesso before doing this step!
  As I keep saying it wouldn't be a tutorial if I didn't learn something!!


Once dry I used some DI to colour over the background...the gel medium acting as a resist. Unfortunately there was gel medium there from before too hence the need for the clear gesso coat mentioned above.


I used the Pocket Blooms with Pocket Die set to decorate the front....the pocket was cut from a piece of denim, then stamped and heat embossed. The flowers were stamped several times onto a piece of the leftover Gelli print and heat embossed, then layered. I cut the XOXO word die from both black and white card and off set them slightly.


Edging stamps are from the Scribbly Splattery Grunge set and the sentiment comes from Noteworthy 2.


The piece will be turned into a photo holder once I've asked hubby to drill me a hole in the top.

ARTPlorations: Stained Glass stencil
CUTplorations: XOXO word die
Other Goods: Gesso, Gel Medium, Texture Paste, Gelli Plates, Pebeo paints

I hope I've inspired you to play with your stencils today...I'll see you again soon.

Carol x

4 comments:

  1. Looks like such a lot of fun. Great techniques, colours and mixed media. I took off a stamp today from a block, to put onto cling foam and would never have thought to use the block in this way...I will now! Great idea and thank you so much for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  2. woooww really great Idea..wo many hours but so worthed...Great post!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)