Friday, November 04, 2016

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Wrapping It Up Using Your Stencils by Lynne



Hello everyone! Lynne here to day to welcome you to my November mixed media tutorial post for STAMPlorations. This month I am going to show you two ways you can create your own personalized wrapping paper from products you probably already have on hand and just in time for the season when we wrap everything!


Using only some brown parcel paper, the ARTplorations Big Bloom Factory large stencil and matching Big Bloom acrylic stamps, Ranger distress inks and stains and some white gesso I created this colourful paper in three easy steps...

Step 1
Colour brown parcel paper - I used Ranger Distress Stains and just scribbled the dauber over the paper until I had enough colour for a base coat. 



Step 2
Apply paint through an open patterned stencil - make sure you tape down your stencil, I like to use washi tape for this step because it releases so easily and doesn't tear my paper 



Lay down the stencil, apply paint and then peel it up and move it over for the next piece. No need to reapply the washi tape... it just keeps sticking. 



You can use any colour of paint for this step but I like to use white gesso because it covers up so beautifully in one coat and I use a sponge makeup applicator in the triangle shape to apply the gesso over the stencil - the pointy piece is easy to hold and the flat side makes a great applicator. 



And did you notice how the stain faintly colours the white gesso so I have a pastel-looking paper? I am loving this!



Now I could have stopped here and used this paper the way it is but I wanted something more, so I decided to add some stamped details to the pattern using the STAMPlorations matching Big Bloom Factory photopolymer stamps



Step 3
Stamp Patterns Onto Dry Paper - this was very easy to do because the stamps fit perfectly into the shapes left behind by the stencil. 



Using my Ranger mini distress inks I stamped flower details onto the paper in complimentary colours to the distress stains... and ended up with wrapping paper that looks like this.... aren't they just lovely?






Especially when paired up with this yummy tag I created last month for my October tutorial. But if you are pressed for time you can create the following look in just ONE STEP...



Using Ranger Distress Stains with the dauber top bottle and your favorite stencil, tape your stencil down on a some white or light-colored paper using a low-tack tape like washi tape and apply distress stains at random all over the paper blending and overlapping the areas as you go. 




That's It! I used some 11x17 white scrap paper that I use like placemats on my work area which added to the texture, and personally, I think the messier you are the better it looks. 




So that's my tutorial for this month... I hope it inspires you to go rifle through your stencils to see what beautiful personalized wrapping paper you can create. And remember, if you do create something please think about sharing it with us for this month's Mixed Media Challenge - where Anything Goes Except a Card as long as you use a stencil!

Thanks for stopping by today and happy crafting...

Lynne Mizera

STAMPlorations products used on this project:


 
Big Bloom Factory | Big Bloom Factory


Other products used on this project:

Ranger Distress Stains
Ranger Mini Distress Inks
White Gesso

8 comments:

  1. Such a super cool idea! Looks amazing! Fab tutorial too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea.
    I don't wrap presents - I'm not very good
    at it. I put my presents in gift bags
    but I'll be using this idea for my bags.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun, and messy! Love how your paper turned out Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing your RAINBOW of WONDERFUL and tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)