Friday, June 04, 2021

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Stencils for Backgrounds

     

Happy Friday, STAMPlorations friends! Today we have a mixed media tutorial from STAMPgirl MariLynn DeGroot. Make sure you comment on this post for a chance at a $15 prize code. Every month, we draw 7 winners, with the winners randomly drawn from all posts published during the month. The more posts you comment on, the more chances you have.


Hi MariLynn here to share a fun way to make a background. I like to do a lot of drawing and watercolor painting of images. What I struggle with is the backgrounds. Especially if I had already painted my image, watercoloring a background then can "mess" it up. So I have a really fun way to make a background. I used the Rubber Bands stencil.  

I started with my sketch and watercolor/pen drawing. It is nice but look at all that white. Some people would like it just like this, but I am not that person. I wanted a background. Problem with all that background especially since i had already outlined and detailed with my black pen is getting a background that looks good. 



I place the RUBBER BANDS stencil over my drawing and traced the opening with a pencil.  Where my drawing was, I "skipped" over it. 


What the Rubber Band Stencil did was give me little areas to paint.
I didn't have to decide where to paint, I only had to decide on the color of each area. 


It can be challenging to make sure that the colors are random and that no two colors touch. But it was still fun to do. 


After I had painted all the sections I went around each section with a black pen. 



Here is the finished project.


From this

To this

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous coloring and i love the background

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fun background looks a lot like mosaic.Thanks for showing us how it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I liked the plain image, but with the gorgeous soft coloured background behind it, the image really seemed to come to life. Awesome work MariLynn
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH, I love that idea. I sometimes stamp and color an image or images (a scene), and then think EEK, what about the background? Do I just make blue for sky? EEK!! Now I know that I can use my stencils. You are so smart. I am definitely going to do this. I LOVE to learn new artsy things to do, which is why I LOVE Stamplorations. I get so many good, new ideas from artsy people like you. THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Great way to stretch your supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this idea and your beautiful drawing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mixed media share. I like the background created.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a different look and a fun process! Thank you for another creative way to use Stamplorations products.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)