Wednesday, July 09, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Celebrates with Cake!



Shirley here with a spotlight feature on Vignette: It's Your Day, Sentiment Builders: Celebrate and Vignette: Celebrate Artsy, all from the latest release at STAMPlorations. They all go so well together, I can't help but mix and match them.

I started with a stencilled background from my stash. If you're stencilling one piece of card, you may as well stencil a few while you're getting messy with the gunk, then you've got some pieces ready and waiting for future projects. This one was done with clear embossing paste. I scribbled on some Gelatos (still learning to love them, but I don't like to give up on anything so I'm persevering) then added water:

like being back at primary school!

add water and swoosh away

Then I stamped the celebrate sentiment over the stencilling and took a cotton bud dipped in stamp cleaner to (carefully) remove the ink from the diamonds.

before removing ink

I wasn't particularly happy with the red splodge on the right, but that's the beauty of adding cut images - you can place them strategically! Now it looks like heat from those candles. I deliberately kept the cake image uncoloured so that it didn't fight with the busy background. Here's the finished card again:

4 comments:

  1. Nice artistic flair. I like the uncolored cake atop the Gelato background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fresh, funky and artsy! Your post makes me laugh; have to agree that if you're 'getting messy' with the stenciling 'gunk', you might as well make several backgrounds! I need to remember to do that - along with persevering with products that make me crazy (like water-colouring. Just don't have the knack!). Fabulous spotlight project!!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a fresh, uber cool look to this card - Way to go!! Love that you explained to us how you did it and showed some pics!! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shirley. Very artsy background, perfect for the wonky cake. Isn't it great to still enjoy the pleasures of childhood! Must get my texture paste out and finally start using it. Thanks for the tip of making more than one, never think about this. Have a great day! Hugs Monika xxx

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)