Wednesday, July 23, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Does Comic Strip Stamping!


Hi, guys! For today's feature I'm taking a closer look at the daisy from the Boxed Blooms and Bold Sentiments set and stamping it comic-style. By repeating the image across your card and colouring selectively, you can create a striking visual.

I stamped one image centrally, then one either side (no measuring, just eyeballed it), and added a touch of watered down Tumbled Glass Distress Ink to the petals. Then I added a touch of colour to the centre and base of the flower and painted the background. I inked the sentiment with Faded Jeans then spritzed it before stamping it on to the card piece.  


I have a large acrylic block which I use as my Distress Ink paint palette - just squidge straight onto the block and you're ready to go. It's great for mixing colours too. If your work surface is dark, just put a sheet of copy paper under the acrylic block. And with mini Distress Inks, you are only using a tiny amount of ink. If you're wavering about whether to buy the minis (you know you want them, they're so cute!) I'd say go for it. I find I'm using them far more than the standard ones now.


Here's another view of the card. You can just see the hint of blue at the base of the petals. I also added some Walnut Stain Distress Stickles to the flower centre.

So think outside of the box when you're using boxed images!

10 comments:

  1. Stunning card, I love the layout and the colouring
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 'comic strip' showcase of these blooms is lovely; the selective water-colouring and spritzed sentiment are the perfect techniques for these! I need to practice water-colouring (as in seriously practice), but I agree: those minis are ideal! Fabulous card; amazing inspiration!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card! Shirley's work is always SO lovely! Very happy to see her feature today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great effect Shirley, I have a few stamps that will really suit this technique, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card Shirley. I love when directions are given and I like that you "wing it." Your cards are always unique and certainly creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!I've got those stamps and can't wait to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cool looking and so well done!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)