Wednesday, July 30, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Nonni Does DIY Card Bases and Heat Embossing





Hi,  stampers! It's Nonni here playing with Boxed Blooms and Bold Sentiments today!

If you are anything like me, you have lots of odd, small pieces of cardstock lying around... Some free space on my craft supplies shelf wouldn't hurt so I really want to get rid of some of those scraps! I came to think of making card bases out of scrap pieces and today I'm sharing my simple idea with you. 

Boxed Blooms and Bold Sentiments is the perfect stamp set to use in a simple card design like this and when you heat emboss your stamped images with white powder, it gives your card a very professional, stylish look! Here's a photo of the materials you need for the card above:


  • Cardstock pieces in colors that you like: my choice was to use a monochromatic color palette but you could use contrasting combos like blue and yellow or green with purple too!
  • Your chosen stamps from Boxed Blooms and Bold Sentiments
  • Embellishments of your choice
  • Versamark Ink, white embossing powder, and heat tool (not in the photo) for embossing. Using an embossing buddy will also improve your result by removing static from your card before the embossing process. If you are new to heat embossing, read about it for example here.

Cut the two pieces you want to use for your base cards to 10.5 x 14.7 cm or any measure you wish but these measures will form a basic A2 card. Cut the third piece to the same width and score it to form a hinge. After cutting the base cards I was lucky to have just enough of the darker card left for me to stamp and heat emboss the lily!


All you have to do then is to tape the base pieces to the hinge with double sided tape/glue. DIY card base is now done! :)



You already saw the finished card but here it is again with the heat embossed lily and the sentiment - the empty base does not look like much by itself, does it? :)



While I was at it I thought I'd make another thank you card. I have some of these long, narrow kraft card bases I don't really care for... So off I went cutting it to pieces to form a top-folding card! This time I used a scrap piece of patterned paper for the hinge. I heat embossed the daisy stamp and made a card with a touch of vintage. 





I hope I've inspired you to dig into your scrap pieces of cardstock: add some eye-catching heat embossing and no-one will think you were working with left-overs!


Boxed Blooms & Bold Sentiments

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards. What a brilliant idea to create the hinge! - I'll have to add it to my list of things to try.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Swept off of my feet!! Your cards here are nothing short of beautiful!! Honestly, this is a brilliant way to create card bases, and the embossed blooms...absolutely stunning! Elegant, simple, striking! Now, if only I could learn to work with ribbons and tie bows...Truly amazing, Nonni!!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  3. The embossed bloom is gorgeous and superb idea to create the hinge at the top of the card!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work, Nonnie! I love your take on these stamps! The CAS designs really are lovely! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool technique and fab idea to use up scrap. Wonderful embossing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I have a huge pile of scraps so these ideas are great. Hinge idea is lovely, I'll have to have a play.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use up leftovers! I love the cards you have created and will definitely keep these ideas in mind for future inspiration. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing how you used the scraps; something to remember if I take a plonge into my scrapsbasket! Keep forgetting to say that seeing your picture is always a pleasure; your smile is contagious!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)