Thursday, July 31, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shery Makes Her Favorite Kind of Cards



Hello, fellow stampers! It's my turn to share a project this week. I'm back with another one layer card.

One layer cards are my favorite kind of cards to make but there's another reason I decided to make them this week: my craft area is still a disaster after 2 weeks. I bought crates and a 7-drawer rolling cart a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I haven't made any serious progress in cleaning, organizing, and downsizing my craft supplies. My craft area is in shambles. Fortunately, I don't need much to make one layer cards...just stamps, inks, and post-it notes.

Here's my card. In addition to the Boxed Blooms & Bold Sentiments stamps, I used Vignette: Eclectic Florals and words from two Sentiment Builders sets, Happy and Thank You. (Shooting videos isn't possible until I could clear my craft table so a photo tutorial will have to do for now.)



1.
I stamped the daffodil three times on my card base,
stamping first in the middle and then with a post-it note,
I masked the image before stamping on the upper left and
lower right. I used jet black archival ink because I will be
watercoloring the daffodil in the middle. [You'll want to 
use ink that's permanent and waterproof for stamping if
you plan on using a wet medium later on.]

2.
Next, I stamped my sentiment. [Tip: If you are using
words from different sets, "audition" them before
stamping by laying them uninked on your card. Try different
orientations. In my card, I let the layout of the boxed
daffodils dictate how I would stamp the words. And
here's another tip: don't be afraid to mix and match different
sizes and fonts. Use the design principle of contrast: bold with
regular, caps with small caps, serif with sans serif, slab with script.]


3.
I then watercolored the daffodil in the middle with
Inktense Blocks. You can also use Distress inks for
watercoloring, but I find the Inktense Blocks to be
more vibrant, especially on cold-press watercolor paper,
like the one I used for my card base.


4.
I masked my daffodils with post-it notes before
stamping my flowers in Memento inks
(Lilac Posies and Bahama Blue).


5.
I added some spatters on my card and affixed a
couple of adhesive gems to the flowers. (I was lucky --
I found the gems in the plastic container that happened to be
on top of one of the empty crates.)

When I'm making one layer cards, masking is my favorite technique to use because it helps create an illusion of depth. 

Here's a second card I made using the steps above, only this time I went all black so the middle daffodil would pop. For texture, I used one of the stamps in the Mini Mixed Media Backgrounds. Instead of watercolor paper, I used 100# (270 gsm) premium heavy classic white card stock and Distress inks to watercolor the daffodil. 


I hope you enjoyed my short photo tutorial and that you were inspired by my cards. Why not try making a one layer card too? See you in a couple of weeks!


     
 

5 comments:

  1. Wow stunning that centre bloom looks like it's a second layer! I love the second card and will have to add that idea to my list! Thanks for the tips on mixing text from different stamp sets.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards, Shery! I like the black and white with the pop of color the best. My studio is undergoing a redo, too, and it is very difficult to work in such a state of chaos!! I am slowly getting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More awesome cards from Shery's desk. Love the mixed media on the bottom card....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both the cards and inspire me to make a card using floral stamps!!! Thanks for the tip for using text.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Shery! Love both the cards very much.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)