Monday, November 13, 2017

{Mixed Media Tutorial} "Anything Goes" Art Journal by Lynne

Hello everyone and Happy November! Lynne here today and for my monthly mixed media tutorial I thought I would share with you a few photos of my very favorite Art journal which I created from an old, cloth-covered book I found at my local second-hand store. And then I will show you a very simple technique to create your own striking art journal page using only one stencil, one stamp and some ink, paints and pens. Here is that page:



I was finding that I was not using the expensive mixed media art journals I had on hand because I didn't want to mess up those pretty and perfect pages. It was really intimidating and creatively stifling so I decided to alter this book so that it was already messed up and freed me up to do anything I liked inside those pages.

 

When making this type of journal look for a cloth-covered book with signatures which are sewn in rather than glued in (signatures are the pages that are grouped together in a book). These will hold up better when you get them wet with paint and product. Then take out a few pages from the middle of each signature to make room for expansion when your pages get all lumpy and bumpy.


 

Using an old gift card apply a thin coat of gesso or paint to every page. You do this not to cover up the writing, (personally I like some of the writing and photos to peek through) but to seal the pages and to give them more body.

 

I like a matte finish because everything sticks to matte better, but it is a personal choice if you want those pages to be smooth and glossy or matte and textured. You can seal all of the pages at once, or "paint-as-you-go", but sometimes, when I am having trouble getting inspired, just adding paint to my art journal pages is enough to get me going.

 

This is also the journal I use to clean up any left over paints or mediums when I am working. These products are just too expensive to waste, so when I am making something mixed media style, I clean up my stencils and any extra paint into this journal. Now I have pages already started for my next project - as in this case, where I used the page below for today's Art journal spread...

 

And here is the process:

1. Stamp an image or images onto your page.

 
Look for contrast and places where colors meet when you are stamping those images to get the most effect.

 

2. Use gesso and/or paint to cover up the background and make those images pop.

 

3. Outline the images in black pen to clean up the edges and to intensify the lines. No need to be perfect with this technique... messy and close enough is just fine.



4. Add texture to the background using a stencil with either paint or pastes and mediums.

 

5. Add a Sentiment - using a stamp or your own writing.



6. (Optional) enhance the lines of your stamped images using Pebeo Cerne Relief.

 
  


And now I will fill the other side of this spread with some personal journaling to myself...


So that's my tutorial for this month... I hope it inspires you to go play in your own art journal. And, if you are finding that those pretty blank pages are stifling your creativity consider making a book like this that will allow you to do whatever you want...



Use Code - STAMPGIRLLYNNE - for a 20% Discount on your entire order at STAMPlorations, even sale items.


STAMPlorations Products Used :

2 comments:

  1. Such messy creative fun, Lynne! I think I need a book/journal just for cleaning up my excess paint, ink, paste..or whatever! LOVE how your mixed media flower page turned out. Hope you share your journal page when it is done..even weeks, months, etc. from now. Thank you for the inspiration my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)