Wednesday, January 09, 2019

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Goes Graphic with Positive Vibes




Hi peeps, for my spotlight post today I took my inspiration from graphic design principles to create a few cards. I pinned loads of images that I liked, then decided what it was that I liked about them. White space, blocks of strong colour overlaid onto line images, contrasting text, balance.


I thought that the folksy flower images in the Positive Vibes set had a retro graphic feel to them, so I stamped three of them repeatedly onto my card for the background, then coloured in three of the oval images with watercolour pens.



Using the same (or similar) colours in Distress Ink, I sponged triangular flashes of colour.



I had intended for the purple triangle to be at the bottom of the card and the turquoise to be on the left, but I picked up the purple ink instead of the turquoise. But it would probably have looked too contrived, so I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

For another card I swiped watered down Distress Reinker across a card using a broad paintbrush.



Then I used one of the sentiment blocks to anchor the three swipes.



My third card was inspired by menu designs where each group of foods (starters, mains, desserts etc) is contained in a different coloured block, but some of the images spill outside of the block. I divided the card into thirds with a light pencil line, then stamped the images.



Then I added colour, and erased the pencil lines once it had dried. It may have been easier to paint my blocks of colour first, but that's how I roll ;)


I hope this inspires you to have a go at graphic style cards, and thanks for looking!

If you're shopping in the store, don't forget to use my code STAMPGIRLSHIRLEY for 20% off all stamps, dies, and stencils.

5 comments:

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)