Wednesday, January 11, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Monika Revisits Favourites



Hello Crafty Friends! Today's Spotlight Project is a sort of a follow on from Monday's Mixed Media Tutorial. I am looking to make an alternative cover for the note pad I am going to use to record my art journal projects with a little help from two of my favourite stamp club sets, Bloom Sketches and Mixed Media Grunge, and the Daisy Dance and Foiled Again ARTplorations Stencils.

Here is the finished project:



I gathered some supplies knowing that at some point I'd probably add to them. I don't know about you, but my projects always seem to take on a life of their own.



I started off with a piece of white card cut to size to fit my notepad front, Twisted Citron, Cracked Pistachio and Mermaid Lagoon DIs, the daisy from the Bloom Sketches set which coordinates with the Daisy Dance mask, and the Foiled Again stencil.


  • sponge Twisted Citron through the Foiled Again stencil moving it along as needed to cover the page, it is very easy to align for covering areas larger than the actual stencil itself

  • place the Daisy Dance mask on and sponge with Cracked Pistachio

  • stamp Daisy in Mermaid Lagoon

  • stamp border using stamps from Mixed Media Grunge in Mermaid Lagoon
  • stamp sentiment from Art Is in Mermaid Lagoon for the sentiment topper
  • blend Twisted Citron and Cracked Pistachio on a piece of scrap
  • stamp the background using the circle border from Art Marks in Mermaid Lagoon and generational stamping
  • stamp sentiment from Bold Sentiments Journey and Create in black Versafine
  • stamp star from Art Marks in black Versafine

  • add some doodles
  • layer on the note pad front
Of course I ended up using more sets, than I had originally thought.

Anything I tend to pick up a lot or put on a shelf needs to have minimal layers and embellishments to feel robust. My way of dealing with this is to add layers and detail through sponging and stamping hence the use of the two stencils. As you can see one through the other you are getting an incredible depth and the daisies just seem to float.



I really love how the stamped border turned out. The stamps from the Mixed Media Grunge set add detail without stealing the show.



If you like and try the layering technique with stencils or any other technique used in the Spotlight Projects, make sure to link your project with our Spotlight Project Showcase. Hope to see you there.

That's it from me now, have a lovely day!

hugs,
Monika xxx


Here are the supplies I used:

BloomSketches.jpeg MixedMediaElements-preview.jpeg

Shery_Russ-ArtIs-preview preview-SheryRuss_ArtMarks1


preview-STAMPlorations-Journey preview-STAMPlorations-Journey
Bold Sentiments Journey and Create

preview-web-stencil-023-foiledagain.jpeg preview-web-stencil-031-daisydance
ARTplorations Stencils Foiled Again and Daisy Dance

6 comments:

  1. Love the layering effect with the stencils and gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh! So pretty, Monika. Great layers, adding so much detail and no bulk. Very bright and fun and Spring-like! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so vibrant and beautiful. Love the layered stamping Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)