Friday, October 13, 2017

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Creating Storage In My Studio by Lynne Mizera

 
Hello Everyone, it's Lynne here today and I am back to share my first tutorial for the new 2017-2018 term with the STAMPlorations Mixed Media design team.  I am excited to be back again this year to share more ways to use your stencils (and stamps) in mixed media projects.  For my project today I am sharing how I decorated this wooden storage container to create a piece that not only is pretty but also can be used to see how some of the different types of product look like through a stencil.  This piece will makes it so much easier for me to decide what products I want to use on any new project.
 





Begin by painting the entire piece in one color.  I used Golden fluid acrylic paint in Teal.  I want only one color because I want to see each product against the same background.  I will be using four different products for this: a white gesso, a modelling paste, a crackle paste and a metallic paste.
 
Once the paint has dried tape the stencil down firmly and apply the product.  I am using the ARTplorations stencil Ethnic Organic One because it will give me both wide spaces for the background to show through as well as large areas of product - the two things I want to see when I am choosing a product for a new stencil project. 
 
Use a sponge to apply any paint-like product and a palette knife to apply any paste-like product and make sure you apply a thick layer of each to get good coverage.
Remove the stencil carefully and clean immediately before using it for the next product.  It is a good idea to make sure the current area you are working on is completely dry before moving on to the next one.  I took my time with this project, adding product over several days to make sure each side was completely set before moving on to the next.
 


And once I had mediums applied to all four sides I went back and colored a piece of each side with a different product so that I would have several examples of different ways to color each medium.  And the final step was to write on the lid above each side what products had been used...

Here is white gesso painted over with watercolor paints...
 Here is crackle paste painted over with Peerless watercolors (which are a dye rather than a paint).


Here is Metallic Copper paste with details in black pen.
And this is white modelling paste and InkaGold paint rubbed on.

Taaa daaaa!!! Another storage container for my studio that is not only pretty but provides a visual example of some of my many pastes.  So that's it for this month - smile - I do hope you enjoyed my little tutorial and it inspires you to go get in some stencil play!

Lynne Mizera, Mixed Media Artist
for the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team

STAMPlorations Products used on this project:

Remember to use my personal discount code: STAMPGIRLLYNNE
to receive an additional 20% off your entire order at STAMPlorations - even sale items!


ARTplorations Stencil Ethnic Organic One



Other Products used:
Buzz Gesso - economy ground
Dreamweaver Metallic Copper Embossing Paste
Liquitex Flexible Modelling Paste
Dreamweaver Studio 490 Crackled Texture Paste
Inka Gold paints
Peerless Watercolor sheets
Angora pan watercolors
Copic Black Multi-liner pens

6 comments:

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)