Wednesday, October 18, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Shirley Creates Stencils From Dies


What happens when you don't have the stencil you want or need? You make your own from a die!




I started by cutting my die/stencil (Christmas Baubles #1) from a spare piece of mixed media card. I cut two because I was going to use different colours, but ended up using just one of them as a stencil because my colours were so similar.


I sponged Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide through the stencil for my first bauble, adding a smudge of Peacock Feathers shading.


Then I moved the stencil for the second bauble. More Peacock Feathers, less Cracked Pistachio.


For the third bauble I went in a bit heavier with the Peacock Feathers. You can see the overlap, but because I was going to splatter it with water, I wasn't too bothered as it will take the eye away from the overlap. If your OCD gets the better of you, you could mask the baubles as you go. Mine's borderline on this, so I've let it go.


I've also discovered that Distress Oxides are quite forgiving. I'd managed to go over the side when sponging the third bauble, and also got a yellow mark near the top of the right-hand bauble. With washed hands and a wet paintbrush, I managed to lift the colour off. (I'd already lifted it off before I went back to take this photo.)

I blotted the water, then drew in some strings and bows with a waterproof pen, a sentiment from Homespun Christmas. The baubles remind me of the satin-finish glass baubles we used to hang on our Christmas tree when I was a child. Along with real candles. Which we used to light.



That left me with two diecut baubles, so I sponged them with the same colours, and Fossilised Amber for the tops. For this first card I used stars from Three Kings and a sentiment from Christmas Elf.


And my last card was inspired by this card on my Pinterest board. I added some diecut leaves for the bauble to hang from and a sentiment from Becca's Christmas Cheer and Cookies set.


My inspiration post yesterday uses the same technique with another die. Take a look through your die stash to see what you can use, and have a go yourself.

    

  

If you're inspired to create your own version, don't forget to add it to the Spotlight Project Showcase. And if you're inspired to buy, don't forget to use my code STAMPGIRLSHIRLEY for 20% off all stamps, stencils and dies in the the store.

9 comments:

  1. very pretty and elegant!! love these ideas for cas projects
    hugs
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and oh, so pretty cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a way to stretch the dies!! Your cards are stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your die cut stencil baubles turned out beautifully, Shirley. I love your choice of DOX ink colours and splashes of water on your 1st card and stars and leaves on your 2nd and 3rd card. TFS and always inspiring us my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your creative ideas sure make for one super spectacular card!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea ! And the results are gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing this awesome technique and great Holiday card idea:)

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)