Tuesday, October 31, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Becca Tackles Intuitive Painting


Every once in a blue moon, I feel the need to get messy. And by every once in a blue moon, I mean all the time ever. :)




But thisweek I got EXCEPTIONALLY messy by pulling out my Distress Paints and doing a little intuitive painting.

I love the process of intuitive painting because you get to really feel the paint or mediums you use as you go along. I always use my fingers when I create an intuitive painting and it's so relaxing (until you realize everything you touch gets full of paint. hehe



I created the first layer of my background with Abandoned Coral, Twisted Citron, and Wilted Violet Distress Paints. I used my fingers and pulled some of the colors into the others, scraping places with my fingernails and making swirls with my fingertips.


I dabbed some paint through the Square Links and Dots All Over ARTplorations stencils.


To add even more depth and color to the background, I used Spiced Marmalade Distress Oxides and stamped with some chevrons from the Mixed Media Grunge set.



Since Distress Oxides are a pigment/ink hybrid, they sit on top of the Distress Paint quite nicely and don't lose their vibrancy.



I used the Mixed Media Grunge stamp set to add some yellow circles with Distress Oxides, and used the top of my Twisted Citron Distress Paint cap to add some green circles.

Once I had a background to ooooogle, I stopped and beheld the wonder for a brief mo.

..
...
......

And then I destroyed it all muahahahaha!



Part of the tenets of intuitive painting is to find a space that holds particular interest and highlight that area by adding more layers to the background. So I used some white Distress Paint and drew an outline using the Large Feathers and Arrows ARTploration stencil.




Once I outlined the space I wanted to highlight, I used some paint surrounding the outer edges of my image. This makes the focal area pop.

I know, I know, you're probably thinking that I went through all that work to add interesting depth and then I just covered it all up. BUT since Distress Paints are slightly less than completely opaque you can still get the feeling of depth through the sheer layer of paint.



I added a gorgeous inspirational sentiment from the Wonderful Life stamp set to finish out my card.



I just miiiiiight save this one for myself. :)

I hope you all try out the intuitive painting technique and show me your results! Don't forget to link it up in the Spotlight gallery.

4 comments:

  1. You sure look like you had tons of fun making this piece of art. Yep I would keep this one. Thank you for the step by step and fabulous how you built up the layers. Very artsy, fun and what a great sentiment too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun technique and I love how the result turned out !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun project, thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)